RIRF was established in November 2006 through the Insurance Act of 2005 and the Retirement Funds Act of 2005.
Subject to the provisions of these Acts the functions of the Registrar are:
To supervise and exercie control over the activities of insurers and retirement funds in terms of these Acts and any other law of the Kingdom of Swaziland; and
To advise the Minister on matters relating to insurance services and retirement funds either of its own accord or at the request of the Minister.
The RIRF vision is:
“To be the leading financial services regulatory authority in the SADC region adhering to international best practice whilst contributing towards stakeholder confidence and economic growth in Swaziland.”
The RIRF mission is to regulate and supervise the insurance and retirement funds Industry whilst;
1. Ensuring the development, stability and sustainability of the industry by encouraging creativity and innovation whilst fostering adequate protection for consumers.
2. Establishing a supervisory system that is risk responsive.
3. Managing and minimising systemic risk and contribute towards combating financial crime.
4. Promoting compliance with international best practice standards and principles, including good corporate governance.
5. Establishing efficient and effective operational systems that will be of service to both internal and external stakeholders.
The Core Values that guide us as we execute our mandate of supervision and regulation are:
- Team work